Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Happy Birthday, Russian Guy!


I was walking into Anapa to visit my favorite English speaking ATM when I spotted this billboard. The caption says Happy Birthday, in Russian. Obviously, somebodies friends are helping him celebrate his special day by taking out a 15'x20' (I think that's 80m by 150m) billboard ad. I think it's funny. I wonder if his friends told him, first? Probably not, I wouldn't. Happy birthday, Russian Guy!
As I've mentioned before, the road between Anapa and Su-Pseh is never boring. I got chased a little ways by two German shepherds from a car lot not too long ago. Weddings are pretty common events on the weekend. The friends and family of the bride and groom will often decorate their own cars with ribbons and flags and follow the couples car, forming a carvavan on the road. I was walking home from the ATM when I saw one such caravan. The bride and groom were in a heavily decorated stretch limo accompanied by 5 other decorated cars, one of which was flying a huge Russian flag. All the cars were flashing their lights and honking their horns. As they passed me, the limo was flanked by two other cars. On a two lane road, they had formed a line 3 cars abreast. The two outer cars were half driving on the dirt shoulder and they were all moving fast. A little ways on, the car in the left lane hit the brakes and pulled behind the limo to let oncoming traffic by. He didn't leave much room for error. Never a dull moment on this road. I should memorize a few emergency related phrases in Russian. I spend a lot of time on this road and see some crazy stuff. Some day I may have to call for an ambulance. I usually pray for the drivers as I walk into town.

No comments: