Thursday, March 26, 2009

Back in the USA

I made it back to the USA safely. Things went well, except for one minor oversight that turned out to be costly. Somehow, I overlooked that my flight to Frankfurt left from Domodedevo airport and not Sheremetevo airport. I flew into Sheremetevo from Anapa and made the transfer to the international terminal. I was expecting to hunker down at the international terminal for the next 12 hours when I noticed that Lufthansa ticket booth had been closed down. After checking my ticket confirmation and talking to the lady at the airport info desk, I found out that my flight the next morning left from Domodedevo airport and not Sheremetevo airport. Domodedevo is 60 miles from Sheremetevo, on the opposite side of Moscow. I ended up taking a taxi to the other airport, I didn't feel like trying to find my way on the metro and bus during rush our with 60 lbs of luggage. The two hour taxi ride (traffic was good) was pretty expensive. Grrr... Other than that, travel went well. It took about 40 hours, total. Fortunately I got a little sleep at the airport and on the flights in between. The lovely Marcia picked me up in Seattle. After three months apart, it was very good to see her. We got dinner at an Indian/Nepali restaurant in Seattle. I went to bed shortly after dinner and slept for 12 hours. I thought it would feel pretty strange being back in the US (the reverse culture shock thing), but so far so good. The only strange things so far are that people on the street smile and say hello and that drivers don't try to run me over while crossing the street. My brain is still confused as to which time zone it's supposed to be in. I think I'll take a nap, hopefully that will help.

No comments: