Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Teaching in Novorossiysk


My friend Anya is an English teacher at a small private school in Novorossiysk. Anya invited me to come visit the school and drop in on two of her classes. "It will be good for the students to listen to an American speak.", she told me, and I agreed to come by. Novorossiysk is perhaps 50 km from Anapa. I don't own a car, here, so that means taking the bus. I haven't traveled by public bus between cities by myself and I prepared myself mentally for a mini-adventure.

Early Monday afternoon I went downtown and purchased a bus ticket at the station. I was swarmed by taxi drivers before I got the ticket window. "No, thanks, I don't want a taxi ride to Krasnodar..." Ticket booths (bus station, airport, movie theatre, where ever...) in Russia are built like armored pill boxes. The attendant lady sits securely behind a plate glass window, dispensing tickets and irritation through a tiny slot. Sometimes there are holes drilled in the plate glass for speaking (usually 4.5 feet high), sometimes not (and you speak through the money slot). Either way, it's almost impossible to understand the lady behind the glass. This particular ticket lady was relatively friendly and only smirked at me once when I gave her a 500 ruble note for a 66 ruble fare (they like exact change). $2.14 is a good price for traveling 50 km to another city.

The bus ride was pretty uneventful. I actually had an idea of where the bus station in Novorossiysk was, so I didn't feel too apprehensive about getting off at the wrong stop. The driver chain-smoked the entire ride. I was a little hoarse and irritable when I finally got off the bus, since I had been breathing second hand smoke and b.o. the whole time. Anya met me at the bus station and we went off to the school. The evening's lessons centered around clothing and appearance. The first class was beginner level. We spent a while on vocabulary and pronunciation. One of the other teachers at the school sat in on class to practice her pronunciation, also. The second group was intermediate level. We started off with the clothing and appearance lesson, but got side tracked on hobbies. We eventually ditched the lesson completely and the students asked me questions (in English, mostly). I did my best to answer in Russian, but had to fall back on English a number of times :) I mentioned that I had worked in the computer industry for 8 years before coming to Russia to visit friends and help out at the church in Anapa.

When class got out, the other teacher and two of the students stayed behind to talk with me more. They commented that leaving a career to come live in Russia was a big change and wanted to know more about why in the world I would do something like that. I think I managed to convince them that I was of reasonably sound mind and that I hadn't been fired from work. One student said she knew some church people who had done something similar because they were following God and asked me if I was doing the same. What a great lead :) We had a good conversation for about 30 minutes and I got to share with them what God had done in my life. They had some good questions, "Did I come to Russia because i wanted to or because I felt I had to? If you're following God, are you really free?" Anya helped out a lot with translation through all this, for which I was grateful (the level of discussion had moved a little above clothing and colors). We had to break off the conversation at 9pm, so Anya and I could run back to the bus station for the last bus back to Anapa. We made it with a few minutes to spare and I finally got back to Su-Pseh around 11 pm. Long day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interested to read your post about the school - came across it while trying to find out about English language schools on the Black Sea coast.

Do you or Anya know what prospects are like for teaching English out there? Is there a big demand for English teachers? Are there many language schools set up? I was thinking that Sochi might be a good place to teach English because of the Olympics, but would be very useful to hear the opinions of somebody out there.

I'm living in Budapest at the moment and am a qualified teacher of English and British. (Living in Hungary I can well appreciate your views of second hand smoke!)

rwike said...

Hi! I think schools would be very interested in having a native English speaker on staff. However, getting a job in Russia (as a foreigner) is difficult right now. The government sets a quota for foreign workers each year and the quota was recently reduced in Krasnodarskii Krai, due to economic conditions. Also, I was told that is difficult to work in the public universities if you do not have a degree from a Russian school. I made some inquiries at the schools in Anapa. Your best bet would be a private language school. I don't know of any here in Anapa. There are some schools in Novorossiysk (a large shipping town) and Krasnodar (capital of the province, about 3 hours drive from the coast). I would think that Sochi would be a good place to look. You might also look at Gelendjik and Tuapse, which are also large tourist towns on the coast.

Unknown said...

hello!
i live in novorossiysk. i am working as an engineer here and i wanna learn russian. does your friend has a russian course class or can she teach me russian in english?