Thursday, February 5, 2009

Completed Reading the Bible

I recently completed reading the Bible (cover to cover) for the first time, which I think is pretty cool. It took me a year and a half, I was taking my time. I'd read most of the Bible at various times in the past, but never all the way through in a continous fashion. I began my journey on my last visit to Russia, actually, and took a somewhat roundabout route. I started with Ezekiel and went through Malachi, then doubled back to Genesis and went through Lamentations. Then I tackled the New Testament. What an awesome book. Sex, murder, mystery, epic battles, poetry, prophesy, divine visitations, creation, salvation, ... No wonder it's been a best seller for 2,000 years.

1 comment:

Jenai Rothnie said...

Some parts of the Bible are insanely epic, or just insane - in a good way :) It's fun reading the bits I never got around to (or just skimmed because I thought they were boring) when I was younger. And it is great how so many puzzles I run into in the old testament have answers in the Old Testament, or vice versa, and how the books complement each other. That's a cool idea reading it all, but not nescessarily in the classic book order. I tried that once and got as far as Joshua before I went back to my normal scatterbrained system of reading what I felt like or what was on my current topic of study. But it would be nice to know I had not missed anything either, so perhaps keeping track of what I read, or making up a plan to read everything and just mixing up the book order a bit to be more thematic might work, hmmm.

Congrats though! Next step - read it all in Russian! (Or cheat like me and listen to the audio version :P)