Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Visit to the Technical College

I got to visit the local technical college, today. My landlord, Nikolai, is a professor of economics there. The college has an English program and Nikolai arranged for me to come in and speak to 2 different classes. It was a lot of fun. The teacher seemed pretty happy to have me there. I don't think she's had an opportunity to bring in a native English speaker, before. The students were all in the management program, training to work in the hotel and tourism industry in Anapa. Anapa is a resort city that receives many visitors from Europe and the management program has a foreign language requirement (English or German). It was a question/answer session for both classes, I didn't present a lesson or anything. Apparantly, I'm the first American person that the students had ever met. The students had prepared questions in advance: where was I born, what did I study in school, what do I like about Russia, what's the average salary of a manager in America, am I married, why live in Russia, why live in Su-Pseh, etc. It was a fun time. I got to ask the students some questions, also, and they wanted to hear me speak in Russian, also. It was also a good opportunity to tell the students about why I moved to Russia and to share a little about the church in Anapa. Perhaps I might be able to get a job at the technical college. I don't know, I'd have to ask Nikolai about it. Nikolai seemed pretty happy that I was able to come and speak at his school and I was happy to oblige. Nikolai, and his wife Galina, have been incredibly helpful to me and are wonderful people. I hope to coninue developing my relationship with them.

1 comment:

Michael Dodaro said...

This is a good story. Did you tell them there are as many Beamers on the Redmond campus as dogs in their town?