Monday, February 2, 2009

Where I Live




I live in a small village called Su-Pseh, about 2 km south of the city of Anapa. Su-Pseh has a population of ~10,000 people, 20,000 dogs, and 3000 roosters. There are some geese, goats, and cows, too. I've noticed that all the dogs (yes, all 20,000) bark at once between 8 am and 8:10 am. The dogs all live outside in the yard and I think they bark at kids walking to school in the morning. They're pretty noisy, I call them my "doggy alarm clock." Most of the streets in Su-Pseh are unpaved and there are no sidewalks, so you need to pay attention while walking around on the streets. I've dropped in to several of the small stores (called magazines) and have found the people to be pretty helpful and friendly. Houses in Russia are usually built of concrete or brick, which is different than the US (we use wood a lot). Another big difference is that they run the gas lines above ground and you see the yellow pipes running all over the place. A lot of people still burn wood or cow dung for heat, so there is usually smoke in the air. I've seen people burning garbage or yard waste in their yards, too. I've seen a number of covered wells with buckets around town, I'm guessing Su-Pseh didn't get running water until fairly recently. The two pictures show my back yard and my street (my house is on the left with the green fence).

2 comments:

Michael Dodaro said...

Hey, Ryan. I will send your achievement plaque from Microsoft Exchange SDK 2001. I'm checking for your address, so I can send it COD. It only weighs about five pounds. That's probably only $40 dollars or so to mail.

Marcia said...

wow, 20,000 dogs, huh?! :) what about a picture of you, bf?! I'm glad that you got to talk to the students @ the technical college. maybe you'll get to do it again. :)