Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My Bible Doesn't Have a Book of Jacob...

I went to a bible study at church, tonight. We talked for a little while before the study began and had tea and treats. Pasha talked some about his recent trip to America. When things got under way, everyone opened their Russian bibles to the book of Yakov. At first, I didn't recognize the name. Yakov? Some of the Russian names of the books of the Bible are a little different than the English names, but I can usually figure it out after a few moments. Yakov? That sounds a lot like Jacob. I asked the lady sitting next to me and she confirmed that it was, indeed, the book of Jacob. My bible doesn't have a book of Jacob. My first thought was maybe this was one of the apocrypha, but I've got the apocrypha at home and there is no book of Jacob. Pastor Victor, ever vigilant, noticed my confusion and also stated (in English) that tonight were were studying the book of Jacob. The book appeared to be near the end of the Bible, so I asked if he really meant the book of Jude. "No, the book of Jacob", Victor responded. "Um, my Bible doesn't have a book of Jacob. What are we studying?", I said. I think somebody repeated what I had said in Russian, the other 10 Russian people had stopped talking and were now watching me. At this point I was wondering where this new book of the Bible had come from and the Russians were probably wondering why I had bought such an obviously defective Bible. "The book of Jacob, it comes after Hebrews", persisted Victor. "After Hebrews... You mean James?", I asked. It took a few moments, but we got it sorted out. The book of James in the English bible is the book of Jacob in the Russian bible. Who knew? Perhaps Jacob is the closest equivilant to the English name James and the translators used Jacob, instead. We all had a good laugh. This isn't the first time I've completely stopped conversation in a room here in Russia, it probably won't be the last. Fun times. Some days, the learning curve feels pretty steep.

No comments: